Bokor Hill Station is a captivating destination nestled amidst the lush mountains of Cambodia. With its rich history, stunning views, and various attractions, this hidden gem offers a unique experience for all visitors. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or adventure seeker, Bokor Hill Station has something to offer everyone. In this article, we will delve into the wonders of this extraordinary place, providing you with a comprehensive travel guide, highlighting the best things to do, and sharing valuable tips on how to get there.
Bokor Hill Station, located in the Elephant Mountains within the Kampot Province, was originally established by the French in the 1920s. It was designed as a luxurious mountain resort, providing respite from the heat and humidity of the lowlands. However, due to its turbulent past, Bokor Hill Station fell into disrepair over the years.
Despite its abandoned and ghostly appearance, Bokor Hill Station has become a popular tourist spot in recent years. Visitors are drawn to its eerie charm, offering a glimpse into Cambodia’s history and architectural heritage. The site also boasts breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside and is a gateway to the nearby Bokor National Park.
To reach Bokor Hill Station, you can travel by car, motorcycle, or join a guided tour. From the capital city, Phnom Penh, it takes approximately four hours by road. If you prefer a more adventurous route, you can rent a motorcycle and enjoy a scenic ride through the picturesque Cambodian countryside.
There is a nominal entrance fee to access Bokor Hill Station and Bokor National Park. Be sure to inquire about the latest fees at the entrance gate or check with your tour operator.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Bokor Hill Station is during the dry season, which runs from November to April. The weather is pleasant, and you can enjoy clear views of the surrounding landscapes. However, even during the wet season, Bokor Hill Station has its own charm with misty mountains and a green, lush environment.
Things to do
- Explore the abandoned buildings: Wander through the eerie remains of the French colonial buildings, including the Bokor Palace Hotel and Casino. These structures hold a haunting beauty, transporting you back to a bygone era.
- Visit the Black Palace: Discover the Black Palace, once the luxurious residence of King Sihanouk. Although severely damaged, it still exudes an air of grandeur and offers glimpses into the opulence of the past.
- Marvel at the Popokvil Waterfall: Take a stroll through the tranquil surroundings of Popokvil Waterfall, located within Bokor National Park. The refreshing spray and soothing sounds of the falling water create a magical atmosphere.
- Hike through the Bokor National Park: Lace up your hiking boots and explore the picturesque trails of Bokor National Park. With its diverse flora and fauna, the park offers an unparalleled opportunity to immerse yourself in Cambodia’s natural beauty.
- Enjoy panoramic views from the Bokor Hill Overlook: Climb to the Bokor Hill Overlook and be rewarded with a breathtaking panoramic view of the Cambodian coastline and the surrounding mountains. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture this awe-inspiring vista.
Bokor Hill Station presents a captivating blend of history, natural beauty, and adventure. Whether you’re fascinated by its haunting past, in awe of its architectural marvels, or captivated by its sweeping vistas, Bokor Hill Station has something for everyone. From exploring abandoned buildings to hiking through lush forests, this hidden gem in Cambodia offers a truly unforgettable experience. So, plan your visit to Bokor Hill Station, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime.